5th Year Major Works

Over the next week I am going to publish at least 7 possible project ideas for my 5th year major works and a brief thought process behind each one. I have chosen a site that I think has a rather unique and individual character unlike any other I have come across. The site, in Carrington Newcastle, is occupied by the old Pump House built in 1877 and despite the absence of Human existence there is a plethora of activity including birds, trains, boats, and giant coal loaders that brings the site to life. The grand building housed the engines that powered the port’s first hydraulic cranes that loaded the sailing ships with coal. I am not completely locked into this parcel of land, however I love the dynamic nature of the site and the idea of restoring and juxtaposing the somewhat derelict building that exists.




No comments:

Post a Comment