Dobell

I remember my primary school had a copy of this painting in the principles office and I also remembering the teacher bringing it in to class one day for us to sketch, I would have been about 10. I have strangely been attracted to it ever since, maybe its because the artist was local, or maybe its the controversy surrounding the painting, but now many years on I like to think it is the honesty and strength of the piece. His style had the amazing ability to adapt and change to the personality of his subject and I believe this character is apparent in all the best architecture.
"I just wanted to show a man in a warm night light setting, and I wanted to work in the sculptural setting - a light figure in a dark setting - so I built it up as a sculptor builds up any form; I glazed my colors on to it." William Dobell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment